The situation of Seafood in Vietnam – from March 19th to 31st, 2017
Seafood Expo North America coming to an end on March 21 has witnessed a huge demand for Vietnamese Pangasius (Swai) from the first day of the expo. Usally, prices got strong discounts from factories. However, things changed at this year seafood expo due to the reaction from importers who had heard about the lack of material before that and wanted to close contracts for 6 months. This reaction has push pangasius price up by 10% compared to January’s price. For more detail, here is an article in Vietnamese
In this situation, MEKSEA would like to advise customers to go on a long term contract with us, prices from the second shipment shall be deducted. If you would like to discuss further this new policy of ours, please do not hesitate to contact MEKSEA back anytime!
Recommended value added product from pangasius. MEKSEA is offering good prices for breaded pangasius portion!
– Price of black tiger shrimp is improved, material is more, especially for big sizes. Suppliers now could receive orders with great quantity.
– Price of vannamei shrimp starts to slow down. It still increases, but do not jump up as in previous period. Current vannamei price is higher than it was two weeks ago by around 0.1 – 0.15 USD/kg. Supplies are still low and farming areas are being increased.
– Predictably, vannamei price will be better in mid – April when material is improved. However, changeable weather from early 2017 has made water environment changes constantly and disease easily happens as a result.
– If you have enough stock of vannamei, please wait a couple of weeks to get a better price.
Please consider to place your orders of black tiger shrimp now.
– Fresh tuna boats have been back to land. Material price keeps stable as
– Frozen tuna prices remain stable. Offers can be given at almost the same prices as this time last year due to factories stocking frozen loins for their production.
Main tuna items being offered for a great quantity are loin, steak, saku and ground meat.
- Other pelagic fishes
– The fish types abundant in quantity now are Indian mackerel, Layang Scad, Round Scad, Black Pomfret, Bonito and Horse Mackerel
– Mahi material is around 7% higher in price compared to its price last month
Recommended pelagic fish products:
– Indian mackerel: 4/6, 5/7, 6/8, 8/10 pieces/ kg
– Horse mackerel: 2/4, 4/6, 6/8, 8/10 pieces/ kg
– Round scad (Decapeterus maruadsi) 6/8, 8/10,10/12, 14/16 pieces/ kg
– Black pomfret: 100/200, 200/300, 300/500, 500 Up Grams/ Piece
– Material of cuttlefish and octopus has been improved a little this week. Some factories that refused to take orders started to consider some easy inquiries now. Prices still remain high because a lot of packers are ready to pay more for material suppliers to produce timely their pending orders.
We keep recommending following products with competitive prices for the time being:
– Cuttlefish fillet
– Baby cuttlefish, Baby octopus (simple packing and easy to produce, customer is ready to pay at relatively high price).
– 1 skin Octopus cut
– Yellow clam material keeps being short. Yellow clam meat’s price has been 0.10 USD/ kg higher compared to its price last month. Offers are being given for May shipments.
– White and brown whole clams are stable in quantity all year round. Prices have been almost the same compared to the previous time.
According to the Vietnamese authority’s regulations, yellow clam meat is not allowed to be exploited till January next year. Importers are recommended to place their yellow clam meat orders as soon as possible!
- Other seafood items
We are having good prices for:
– Frog legs
– Scampi (fresh water shrimp)
– Black tilapia
– Red tilapia
By Meksea Team.